Fake SIM cards are often sold by local SIM providers in your name. You will be held accountable if you are convicted of a crime using this sim card. You may also be sent to jail on several occasions.
You will need to supply a photo and identification card when you purchase a new SIM. Many times, the local sim provider will make a fake copy or your identity card and sell many fake sims under your name. You will be held accountable for any crime committed using this sim card. In some cases, one might have to go to prison. You can check online to see if someone is using a fake SIM card on your ID. You can block this fake SIM using the government portal. Let’s get to the bottom of it.
Portal launched by the Department of Telecom
The Department of Telecommunications has launched a portal from tafcop.dgtelecom.gov.in domain. This portal hosts the database of all mobile numbers in the country. This portal can be used to combat spam and fraud. This website allows you to report any suspicions that someone is using your mobile number. You should explain that only 9 SIM cards can be issued to one ID. You can block your ID if you suspect that there are fake numbers running on
This is how works.
- Users will first have to visit the Department of Telecommunications portal tafcop.dgtelecom.gov.in.
- Enter your 10 digit mobile phone number.
- An OTP will be sent to your mobile phone for verification of your mobile number.
- Enter this OTP to verify your number.
- After that, you will receive a list with all the mobile numbers running on your ID.
- These fake numbers will be available for users to complain on the government portal.
- The government will investigate any false number you have mentioned.
- It will be blocked if the number is found running on your ID.