Tourmaline gemstones have a fascinating history and are becoming increasingly popular in the jewelry world. In this article, we’ll briefly examine the history of tourmaline gemstones, explore the popularity of tourmaline rings, and discuss why they are worth considering for your next jewelry purchase. And as a bonus, we’ll even touch on the importance of fancy jewelry boxes for storing your new treasure.
What is Tourmaline Stone?
Tourmaline is a semi-precious gemstone prized for its stunning range of colors, including shades of green, blue, pink, red, yellow, and brown. It is a complex mineral belonging to a group of boron silicates. It is found in many parts of the world, including the United States, Brazil, Afghanistan, and Madagascar.
4 Benefits of Tourmaline Rings
Tourmaline rings offer several benefits, making them a popular choice for jewelry lovers. Here are four benefits of wearing tourmaline rings:
1. Unique Beauty: Tourmaline comes in a variety of colors, including green, blue, pink, and red, which can make each ring a unique and stunning piece of jewelry. The gemstone’s color can also have specific meanings, such as green tourmaline symbolizing healing and pink tourmaline representing love and compassion.
2. Physical and Emotional Healing: Tourmaline is believed to have healing properties that can benefit the body and mind. It is said to help balance the body’s energy and promote calm and relaxation. Some people also believe tourmaline can help alleviate physical ailments such as headaches and insomnia.
3. Durability: Tourmaline is a relatively hard gemstone, with a Mohs hardness rating of 7 to 7.5. This means that it is durable and resistant to scratches and chips, making it a great choice for rings worn daily.
4. Versatility: Tourmaline rings can be designed in various styles, from classic and elegant to modern and edgy. The gemstone can be cut into many different shapes and sizes, making it easy to find a tourmaline ring that fits your style and taste.
Steps to Care for Your Tourmaline Ring?
Tourmaline rings are a beautiful and durable choice for jewelry, but they require proper care and maintenance to keep them looking their best. Here are some tips on how to care for your tourmaline ring:
- Proper Cleaning and Maintenance: Use a soft cloth or brush and warm soapy water to clean your tourmaline ring. Avoid harsh chemicals or ultrasonic cleaners, as these can damage the gemstone. Store your ring’s luster in a jewelry box or pouch when not in use, and avoid exposing it to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
- Handling and Storage: When wearing your tourmaline ring, avoid exposing it to harsh chemicals, such as chlorine or bleach, which can damage the gemstone. Also, remove your ring before engaging in activities that may cause it to become scratched or damaged, such as sports or heavy lifting. When storing your ring, keep it separate from other jewelry to prevent scratches or damage.
- Common Mistakes to Avoid: One common mistake when caring for tourmaline rings is exposing them to extreme temperatures, which can cause the gemstone to crack or fracture. Also, avoid using abrasive materials, such as steel wool or rough brushes, to clean your ring, as these can scratch the gemstone. Finally, be sure to have your tourmaline ring inspected and serviced by a professional jeweler periodically to ensure it is in good condition.
Alternative Gemstones to Tourmaline Rings
If you’re considering an alternative gemstone to tourmaline for your ring, there are several options. One popular choice is amethyst, a beautiful purple gemstone often used in jewelry. Silver amethyst rings are a stunning choice that can compliment any outfit and provide a pop of color.
Other gemstones that are commonly used in rings include:
1. Sapphire: Sapphire comes in a range of colors, including blue, pink, yellow, and green, and is known for its durability and brilliance. A silver sapphire ring can make a stunning and timeless piece of jewelry.
2. Ruby: Ruby is a red gemstone that symbolizes love and passion. It is a popular choice for engagement rings and can be paired with silver for a classic and elegant look.
Tourmaline rings offer unique beauty, physical and emotional healing benefits, durability, and versatility, making them a compelling choice for jewelry lovers. When caring for your tourmaline ring, proper cleaning and maintenance, careful handling and storage, and avoiding common mistakes such as exposing it to extreme temperatures are important.